Saturday 15 November 2014

13/11/14 D.O.A. (1950)

I saw the 1988 remake of this in my mid-teens and really enjoyed the central idea of a poisoned man, with only hours to live, solving his own murder. I imagine the acty-stuff and hairstyles were all cabbage, but the idea's still a good one. Always wanted to see the original, and now I have.

Anyway, I also enjoyed the original, the plot is essentially the same, if the details are a little different. Some of the acting's blunt enough to cosh a penguin but it's good fun.

If films are anything to go by, living in the '40s and '50s would've sent me fucking bonkers due to the constant background orchestras.

Anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042369/
8.5/10


Beer and fags, the preferred breakfast of 1950s young professionals.


'Challenge Butter'?
Rivals of 'Difficulty Margarine'? 


"I want tits"


Surprisingly, the word 'Hospital' wasn't invented until 1951, a year after this film was made.


"I'd like to order a surprised looking man, please"


"You're in luck, madam. Just had one delivered."


Ha! Look at the little midgey fella! Seriously, that's some shite casting for a goon. Looks like a 10yr old in a hat.


Perkin.












No comments:

Post a Comment